Drug addiction is a growing concern in almost every country. People from all age groups use drugs to outlet their stresses but drug addiction itself creates new problems over time. Drug addiction affects health and relationships besides delivering negative effects on the society and environment. Drug addiction can be understood as the unsafe use of substances just for the mood-altering purpose.
Alarming Facts about Growing Drug Addiction:
• According to a WHO report, 275 million people are expected having used an illicit drug at least once in 2016.
• 8% of the US population aged 12 or older accepted for having drugs within a month during a survey conducted in July 2010.
• Drug abuse and associated harms are the highest among youths than among older people.
• Drug transactions increased by about 50% annually between September 2013 to January 2016.
• A survey conducted over 123,814 people from 30 countries revealed that 65% of participants used cocaine on 10 or fewer occasions; while 8.9% of participants have used cocaine on 50 or more occasions in a year.
Why it is must to treat Drug Addiction at the Earliest- Effects of Drug Addiction:
The psychological and physical health effects of drug addiction are far reaching:
✖ Weakened immune system
✖ Abnormal heart rates that may lead to heart attack and collapsed veins
✖ High risk blood vessel infections
✖ Nausea & abdominal pain leading to appetite loss, weight loss, kidneys and liver damage
✖ Confusing state of mind leading to poor performance
✖ Injuries and death
✖ Financial problems leading to have heavy debts
✖ Legal consequences cause by anxiety and anger
✖ Loss of relationships … and many more
Role of Psychotherapy in Drug Addiction Treatment:
Psychotherapy is the mainstay to treat drug addiction. Numbers of Psychotherapy types are applied to treat the drug addiction, eliminate the causes and deal with after effects. Psychotherapy is effective to normalize disturbed mental health conditions caused by years’ long drug addiction. Psychotherapy helps the addict to escape cravings and manage the responsibilities without the drugs support. Therapist not necessarily digs into the past but focuses on causes maintaining the addiction. The commonly experienced benefits of Psychotherapy for drug addiction can be summarized as:
✌ Enhanced Self-awareness
✌ Better Stress management
✌ Learning to address trauma
✌ Ability to identify depression, anxiety, co-addiction, family dysfunction, health problem etc pushed aside by drug addiction
✌ Encouragement to repair damaged relationships
✌ Overcoming shame for substance use
✌ Infused commitment for balanced socially disciplined life
Six Types Of Psychotherapy Used To Help People With Drug Addiction:
1. Group therapy: It is offered in residential, outpatient and inpatient settings. Group size is kept around 8-12 members. Evaluation of problem is conducted at the individual base before the start of group therapy. It is generally held once or twice a week for 1–2 hours. The type of group is determined by the Psychotherapist on the basis of issues to be addressed. Interaction with other people on the same path is helpful for the people, who start their journey to become addition free. Sharing of experiences and feelings reduces stresses and guilt. Sense of ‘you are not alone’ makes the patient more confident.
2. Cognitive behavioral therapy: CBT is focused more on feelings, thoughts and behaviors. A therapist helps to identify the beliefs about the self and the world. The guidance helps to challenge unhealthy baseless beliefs. The CBT expert eliminates cognitive distortions leading to unhealthy behaviors caused by particular misconceptions, misbelieves, fears etc. Ultimately, the drug addict starts believing that the drug is not the solution to problem or stress bursting.
3. Motivational interviewing: The process is focused on changing behaviors because of drug addiction. The failure in achieving the professional, personal and financial goals is the common ill-effect of drug addiction. The motivational interviewing sets a partnership between the therapist and the patient. The guided and well framed friendly communication supports and guides the patient toward realizing the goals with desire for a change.
4. Family therapy: It is very effective when there seems a need to address all the family members. Family therapy addresses all the relational problems because poor relationships and unhealthy environment also lead to drug addiction.
5. Dialectical behavior therapy: It is the modified form of CBT. DBT is based upon the theory that the emotional vulnerabilities and invalidating environments are the more in commonly identified causes leading the person towards drug addiction. DBT delivers the patient a balance of validations/ acceptance and encouragements to quit drug addiction. It is highly effective to treat drug addiction disorders like mood disorders, personality disorders, eating disorders, self-destructive behavior etc.
6. The Matrix Model: It is helpful in treating substance abuse. This Psychotherapy helps the patients get the internal motivation to start drug addiction treatment with discipline. The patients are awarded for maintaining sobriety. It is often used in combination with other behavioral therapies. It includes individual counselling, family education, relapse prevention, 12-step meetings, social supports etc.
Six DIY Tips to Support the Drug Addiction Psychotherapy for Early Gains:
👉 Relapse with confidence – Relapse is the process of recovering from addiction; don’t feel ashamed.
👉 Be ready for drug addiction Psychotherapy – Yes, you can do it only if you are psychologically strong.
👉 Take it as a transition from one addiction to another – Be committed to complete transition from an unhealthy addiction to ‘healthier’ one.
👉 It is not a day at a SPA – Psychotherapy is not a short-term treatment; it needs time to deliver. Be committed to doing your best for the transition.
👉 Addiction is not your identity – Don’t feel shy in consulting with your well wishers; social support encourages to fight the battle better.
👉 Do lie with Psychotherapist or to self – Addicts are found being the masters of the lie; don’t be the one. Face the truth, reveal the truth and breathe in the truth.
Since drug addiction is a serious disease; it is difficult to treat it alone secretly. Here comes the role of a licensed Psychotherapist because the Psychotherapy is seen as the most convenient and effective way to treat diverse drug addiction issues. Before starting your journey for being addiction free, understand the chosen addiction rehab process, its scope, requirements, period, cost etc.